One second—not a very long amount of time. Yet, when you’re behind a steering wheel and your eyes leave the road—that one single second can change your life and the lives of countless others. One second is all it takes to be distracted.
When you are driving—it should not be a secondary task, it should be the only task. EndDD.org (End Distracted Driving) was established to raise awareness and generate action against the epidemic of distracted driving.
It is important to acknowledge that distractions are not limited to cell phone use. Distractions can be visual (taking eyes off the road), manual (taking hands off the road), or cognitive (taking mind off the road). While texting and talking on the phone are both mental and physical distractions, cell phone use is attributed to 18% of fatalities in distraction-related crashes. What makes up the other 82%? Putting on lipstick, reaching over to grab a drink, changing the music, reading a roadmap, eating on the go. The distractions are endless. But they don’t have to be.
Together, let’s work to prevent distracted driving from claiming another life. You can adopt a safe driving policy for you and your family, encourage others to do the same, and help prevent more senseless deaths from occurring.
End Distracted Driving is sponsored by the Casey Feldman Foundation and is dedicated to inspiring individuals and communities to take action to end distracted driving.
Casey was a pedestrian in a crosswalk during daylight hours. A college senior at Fordham University in New York—Casey died five hours later. The driver was reaching across the center console for a drink when Casey was struck.
In honor of all families who have lost a loved one to distracted driving, or have come dangerously close, End Distracted Driving seeks to passionately advocate, educate, and support efforts to eliminate distracted driving.